Principles in Light and Confocal Microscopy - PhD course - August 2021
The course is suitable not only for beginners in microscopy, but also for those who already use microscopy in their work and now want to extend their knowledge of basic principles and more specialised techniques.
The wide range of microscopes available at CFIM allows for a strong practical element, with time for each student to gain hands-on experience coupled with lectures given by renowned scientists.
The course is run in collaboration with The Royal Microscopical Society.
The course in Light Microscopy consists in two modules:
Basic Principles of microscopy
- Optics of the microscope
- Diffraction, Resolution and Contrast
Fluorescence and Confocal Microscopy
- Fluorescence microscopy (fluorophores, illumination…)
- Basic Confocal microscopy (Lasers, multi-dimensional Image Recording …)
- Advanced techniques in fluorescence microscopy (FRET, FLAP, FCS)
- Super resolution microscopy (SMLM, SIM and AiryScan)